Compared to residential roofs, a commercial roofing system can be a greater challenge to care for. This is because their low slope makes them more susceptible to ponding water that causes leaks and debris that can puncture its membrane. Thankfully, it is quite possible to have a maintainable commercial roof.
Read on as Howard Roofing & Home Improvements lists the five different characteristics that show your commercial roof is maintainable, starting with:
1. Ample Space Around Penetrations – If your commercial roof has penetrations like HVAC equipment or vents, make sure that they have the sufficient clearance needed for repairs. As much as possible, penetrations should be at least a foot from the roof edges and any other items on the rooftop.
2. Good Drainage – As stated before, since commercial roofs lack slope, they’re more susceptible to ponding water. With that in mind, it’s vital that your roofing system has good drainage to prevent this and the subsequent leaks from occurring.
3. Proper Equipment Clearance – On the other hand, if you plan to add equipment such as HVAC units or vents on your commercial roof, you’ll need to follow the NRCA guidelines on how high they should be so tradespeople can get beneath the equipment for maintenance procedures and repairs. The larger the equipment is, the higher the stand will need to be.
4. Sufficient Water Barriers – Another way you can make your commercial roof more maintainable is by adding water barriers beneath the expansion joints of the roof. That way, you can prevent water from leaking into the building through the aforementioned joints.
5. Safe but Limited Roof Access – As much as possible, limit the access to your commercial roof. While you need good access so trained professionals can come and go to conduct inspections and repairs, you’ll also need to put some limitations in place to prevent people who don’t belong there from causing excessive roof strain.
Need an expert roofer to conduct some work on your roof? Simply turn to Howard Roofing & Home Improvements. When it comes to commercial and residential roofing services, we are the area’s leading professionals. Give us a call at (636) 333-1690 or fill out our contact form to request a FREE quote. We serve St. Louis, MO, and other nearby areas.