Asphalt shingles can be seen on just about every home, and remain the most popular roofing material available today. But why are they so popular? As a leading roofing contractor in the St. Louis area, let Howard Roofing share with you the reasons behind the popularity of asphalt shingle roofing.
- It’s Not as Complicated to Install – Asphalt roofing is relatively simple to install, which makes it ideal for off-season installations. An average-sized, top-to-bottom installation can be finished within a week, will require fewer installers and will not use adhesives or other materials that require curing time. Repairs and minor replacements are likewise easy to accomplish.
- It’s More Affordable – Many homeowners choose an asphalt shingle roof because it costs less than other roofing materials. But just because it costs less doesn’t mean the quality is questionable. Complete roofing systems from leading manufacturers like GAF, Owens Corning and CertainTeed are proof that you can have quality roofing without breaking the bank.
- It Has a Comparatively Long Life Span – Roofers recommend asphalt roofing systems because of their comparatively long life span of about 20 to 30 years, a good cost-to-life span ratio for most homes. Asphalt shingles are not as difficult to clean and maintain, either. And with regular maintenance and timely repairs, your asphalt shingle roof can last beyond its expected life span.
- It’s Available in a Wide Variety of Colors and Textures – In addition to traditional three-tab shingles, you can also choose from architectural shingles, which are intended to mimic the rustic, hand-split look of wood shakes. Today’s asphalt shingles feature a wide selection of colors that work with nearly any color palette, including light colors that reflect sunlight and help reduce the heat absorbed through the roof.
- It’s Recyclable – Asphalt is one of the few materials in the world that can be recycled any number of times without degradation. Roof replacements generate a lot of discarded old roofing. The good news is, when properly disposed of, only a small fraction of the discarded material ever ends up in landfills. Recycled asphalt also helps reduce the demand for petroleum, the raw material used in making asphalt.
We can tell you more about our asphalt roofing options. Call Howard Roofing today at (636) 296-1057, or fill out our contact form for your free, in-home quote. We serve many areas in and near St Charles, MO.